Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Weekly Update October 9, 2013

Hello again everyone! 

Transfers have struck again, and I am now serving in a town called Toowoomba! It is a town high up in the "mountains" west of Brisbane--about 190 km away from the city. I am excited to serve here, as I have been hoping for the opportunity for most of my mission. There are two wards here: Toowoomba ward and Darling Heights ward. I am serving in D-Heights ward. My companion's name is Elder McIntyre. He is born and raised in Melbourne, Australia, but has lived in Orem since he was 13. So I guess you could say he is my 1st Aussie companion, and my 3rd American companion.

As far as missionary work goes, the past week was pretty uneventful. Much of the same for Elder Tobe and I. On Monday we attended a festival in Deception Bay celebrating the cultures from the Pacific islands. It was a blast! Lots of food! And there were performances from groups from all over the islands. It was a really great opportunity for Elder Tobe and myself since we were able to talk to heaps of people about the church.

I had a couple of miracles this week. First was a while back, Elder Sualevai and I met a girl who hadn't attended church in a long time. A few weeks after he got transferred, I received a call from her saying she wanted to come back to church. She came that Sunday, and said she was going to come every week. Then I never heard from her. I wasn't able to contact her. She didn't respond to phone calls or anything. I figured she changed her mind. On Monday, I ran into her at Pacifika (the festival). She had moved out of her boyfriend's house, and was living with her family on the Gold Coast again and attending church with them! And she seemed like she was heaps happier than before! 

The second miracle happened on Monday as well. If you remember Sebastian, I was hoping to be able to say goodbye to him. I was told he was at his father's house, which is a long drive away. I figured I wouldn't be able to see him before I left the area. On Monday evening, I went to a basketball court in Redcliffe to say goodbye to another ward member who was there playing ball. When I arrived, I saw Sebastian shooting hoops with some people there. I was really happy to be able to see him before I left!

I think that's all I've got for this week. I love you all! 

Elder Rosier

In his letter to me, Ross wrote:
As you are aware, I was transferred yesterday. I am serving in a ward called Darling Heights in a town called Toowoomba. It is in the middle of the country, but the town itself is probably the size of the whole of the Ogden area. It really reminds me of home. I am excited to serve here. There are two wards in the town: D-Heights and Toowoomba. There are 8 missionaries serving in town, 4 elders and 4 sisters. The 4 sisters are in Toowoomba ward, but we are trying to get president to approve having 2 of each--Elders and sisters--in both the wards. As you are aware, I was transferred yesterday. I am serving in a ward called Darling Heights in a town called Toowoomba. It is in the middle of the country, but the town itself is probably the size of the whole of the Ogden area. It really reminds me of home. I am excited to serve here. There are two wards in the town: D-Heights and Toowoomba. There are 8 missionaries serving in town, 4 elders and 4 sisters. The 4 sisters are in Toowoomba ward, but we are trying to get president to approve having 2 of each--Elders and sisters--in both the wards. 


We had the wonderful opportunity to meet Bishop Louis Ziesel and his lovely wife Connie over conference weekend.  Ross worked very closely with Bishop Ziesle while serving in the Redcliffe Ward.  Bishop Ziesel said that all missionaries are special, but there are a few with a "little extra something", which Ross definitely has.  He told us that Ross was mature, hard working, and well organized.  Sister Ziesel was very impressed with Ross' knowledge of knots when she witnessed him secure a refrigerator while helping to move a ward member. You just never know when the stuff you learn in scouting will come in handy!

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment